Main Pond Construction

I took a deep breath and began the details of the main pond. That summer was one of our wettest on record. The bad news was that the excavation kept filling up with water. The good news was the water didn't go anywhere. It was almost leak proof without the concrete! Nothing was easy. Since I was doing this myself, it was taking time. The sand bags which I placed at the beginning of the Summer were deteriorating and falling apart from the weather and the UV of the sun! Of course, the bottom bags were the first to go, collapsing everything LOL. Once the rebar was placed and the 8" of shotecrete was sprayed it didn't matter. I incorporated concrete columns to support 'character boulders' above water line, protecting the koi from sharp edges. I also placed untreated logs [which had fiberglass pegs in one end] into wet concrete ledges creating bog areas for invasive plants like cattails. A concrete bridge provided access with an element of design while a cantilevered concrete walkway provided a deterrent for wildlife entering the pond. At the far west end of the pond a vegetative filter contained water hyacinths inaccessible to the Koi which would devour the plant if they had the chance. Oh yes, the stanless steel whale tail was built for me by a local artist, designed from a piece of jewelry which I found on a trip to Hawaii.


1) Click to Enlarge

2) Click to Enlarge

3) Click to Enlarge

4) Click to Enlarge

5) Click to Enlarge

21) Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge

6) Click to Enlarge

20) Click to Enlarge

7) Click to Enlarge

19) Click to Enlarge

8) Click to Enlarge

18) Click to Enlarge

9) Click to Enlarge

17) Click to Enlarge

10) Click to Enlarge

16) Click to Enlarge

11) Click to Enlarge

15) Click to Enlarge

14) Click to Enlarge

13) Click to Enlarge

12) Click to Enlarge
Previous Next