Expanding The Pond

I was very proud of myself for the first two years. In the third year my Koi were getting bigger, but I was beginning to develop problems usually associated with poor water quality. The lava rock by now was very difficult to clean and the sand filter was constricting the water flow. I replaced the lava rock with Japanese matting and the sand filter with a bubble bead filter. This improved the water quality but the Koi were still growing. I was now a confirmed Koi hobbyist and I needed a bigger pond!

For the solarium/pond enclosure I had replaced the railroad ties with large boulders to retain the ground. I added more boulders to level this area outside so I would have room for a pond extension. By now gravity fed filtration was in vogue and I had already drilled a four inch hole in the indoor pond through the house foundation to allow for a vortex settling chamber in the basement. Outside, next to my indoor pond enclosure I constructed a 2,500 gallon pond together with an upflow/downflow four chamber filter, both poured together monolithically. The filter chambers were filled with brushes for mechanical filtration, and springflow ribbon for biological filtration. Each double chamber had a bottom drain for easy cleaning. The water leaving the filter flowed into the lower pond via a waterfall and into the indoor pond through two eight inch holes which were drilled into the solarium/pond foundation. A bottom drain for flushing, a skimmer and a midlevel drain completed the mechanical design. Finally the concrete walkway which overhangs the pond was designed to discourage wildlife from entering the pond.


Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge
Previous Next